One Pot Coconut Chicken & Rice
We love one-pot meals because they're low-effort and still packed with huge flavour! This Coconut Chicken and Rice can be made all in the one pot, which means less cleanup and also comes together in no time. This recipe is also a wonderful option for weekend meal prep for the week ahead.
- 500-600g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp neutral tasting oil (I use grapeseed oil)
- 1 tbsp freshly minced ginger
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp freshly minced garlic
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 onion- finely chopped
- 1 capsicum- chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 350g jasmine rice
- 250g coconut milk
- 400ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 3 stalks spring onions- thinly sliced
- Coriander- roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
For the Chicken
For the Rice
- Combine the ingredients for the chicken marinade. Add the chicken thighs, and leave to marinade for at least 1 hour
- Wash the rice under running water until the water runs clear. Soak in cold water for at least an hour, then drain well.
- Heat the coconut oil in the shallow casserole on medium high heat. Shake any excess marinade off the chicken and cook the chicken on both sides- about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate to rest.
Add the garlic, ginger, onion & capsicum, season with salt & pepper and cook for 4 minutes until softened.
Add in the rice and stir to coat, then add the coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder and turmeric.
Gently combine and bring to a simmer, then place the chicken on top and scatter over with the cashews.
Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet. Leave undisturbed for 20 minutes (don’t be tempted to peek!), then check that the liquid has absorbed.
Top with chopped coriander and spring onions, squeeze over with lime juice and serve.