Coconut & Saffron Steamed Mussels
Beautifully fragrant and warming, this is an easy treat to whip up if you're headed to your next pot luck and pairs wonderfully with a warm loaf of crusty bread to soak up all those delightful flavours.
Musslels 1kg mussels- cleaned & de-bearded
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion- finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves- finely chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum- diced into 1cm
- 2 red chilli- thinly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400ml coconut milk
- A pinch of saffron
- 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 stalks spring onions- finely sliced
- 2 tbsp coriander- roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon- to serve
- Coconut & Saffron Steamed Musslels Soak the mussels in cold water.
- Add the butter and olive oil to the @crumble Dutch Oven on medium heat. Once melted, add the onions, garlic, capsicum and chilli, and gently fry for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and saffron, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Season with salt & pepper, then turn the heat down. Add the drained mussels, and pop the lid on. Cook for 5 minutes, or until all of the mussels have opened.
- Scatter over with spring onions and coriander, and squeeze over with lemon. Serve warm with a side of crusty bread