Bò Kho (Vietnamese Beef Stew)
Fork tender, fall-apart braised beef packed with delicious flavours from herbs and aromatics to create a delicious, addictive broth that's perfect paired with a warm crusty Vietnamese baguette or noodles of your choice.
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp 5-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1kg beef chuck/casserole
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp annatto powder/paprika
- 4 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-2 thai chillies
- 3-4 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 white radish, cut into chunks
- Mint leaves
- Crusty bread or Vietnamese bread rolls, for serving
For the Marinade
For the Braise
- Put beef in a large bowl, add marinade ingredients and massage into meat. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in your Crumble Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, fry the beef cubes in small batches, until nicely browned. When all beef is browned, return chunks to pot. Add shallots, stir to combine and cook until softened.
- Add tomato, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, salt and annatto and stir well to coat, then add star anise, cinnamon and chilli. Cover with 4-5 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with lid ajar and cook for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Add carrots/radish to pot and cook 15 minutes more. Skim fat from surface of broth as necessary.
- Garnish with coriander, mint and crusty bread!